Thursday, August 17, 2023

Unexpected snags in the plans

Unexpected snags in the plans 

Continued 

Sunday August 13, 2023

This morning we got packed up, I had a little extra time this morning Jim was okay leaving at 11:00 a.m. we have a short drive today, about 60 miles total.

 We have only been putting two of our three slides out. Since we left the cabin/house with Drew, he had to help Jim push it in. So we haven't put it out yet. So glad to be going back to Goshen Indiana ti Affinity RV group.

 Jim decided our best exit plan here, even though we have a pull through site, leaving Rondout Valley KOA, was to back out. Then we had to pull out and make a big loop around the campground to exit. I got a good morning walk in, as I followed him. Which I feel like I'm constantly saying to him to slow down. Not to keep up, just to slow him over bumps and puddles.
Since we left so late there was a live with Corrine in NOBS on today, and I decided to put one earbud in and listen to her as we drove. Which I never did before, and the internet worked great for.

Once we arrive at George Washington State Park in Rhode Island. We had to go through a narrow gate. We checked in with the ranger. There was so many trees, we had to go through the gate and make a hard right. There was trees and rocks and gates. OMG such a tight fit driving in, but it was beautiful. And all we saw were tent, after tent. The only RVs we saw were very small trailers, and one motorhome that looked like he might have worked here.

 We got to our site which was huge, he got out to scope out the situation. He was gone for a while. So I decided to turn off Corinne. I will catch the rest later. Then I went out to him. 
He realized there was no hookups here. He thought it was a full hookup site. I guess our first clue should have been all the tents. Luckily we had everything we needed, more water than we normally carry because of what we put in at the cabin with Drew. We had gas for the generator, I always have plenty of food. Although I did have to switch it up a little, just because of preparation methods don't work that great for boondocking. So had to do things a little bit different.

The AC is definitely a no-go, and the generator hates the microwave too.
So Jim and I made a plan and decided how he was backing into the site. I suggested he put the truck on the back side for easier access to the generator in the bed of the truck. He liked that idea,  so that's what he did. We were trying to keep it away from the neighbors across the road. But shortly after we arrived they left. We couldn't see anyone else. Very private.

Once we were backed in three people walked by on the road.  I yelled to them "are we crazy for bringing this rig in here. "They said what, I repeated and we chatted for a while. They gave me a roundabout answer, so I said basically you're saying "yes we're crazy," I guess we already know.
This guy drove by us as we chatted, they told us he made it. 
It opens up to all this, above right.
After we were set up enough and Jim had things secured enough to leave. We decided to walk around the park to check an Exit Plan. We're supposed to be here for two nights, but we called the KOA to add another day there, and decided to leave here after only one night.  Because there was rain in the forecast for tomorrow and didn't want to be stuck up here in a ton of mud. Jim did have to use four-wheel drive to get in. So on the walk we made a plan to exit. 
There was a lot of places in the road where it was washed out from heavy rain. They were either alongside the road or one place he had to straddle. Not to mention all the ROCKS,. 
Then we got down to the lake where people were swimming. The water felt very warm I walked all around got some cool pictures. I took a picture for a family all together. 
 Also more tents everywhere. This is how you camp here.
There was beautiful views in a nature building with fish and a frog Etc
They had bathrooms and showers, a quarter for 3 minutes and fresh water here too.
 Turned out to be a lot of fun, boondocking is always more work especially for Jim. And we PAID for this. Happily neither one of us got upset about the situation. 

We ended up making a fire, I got a steak out of the freezer for Jim. We grilled some zucchini on the fire too. First time we could have used the Ninja where it really wasn't convenient with the no electric. But we Justified the Ninja purchase, saying this doesn't happen very often. We had a great night, forgot to get pictures. 
The mosquitoes weren't even that bad. We sat outside till way after Dark. Crazy being in the woods but we had great internet and worked on the blog too. 
He ended up moving the truck from here to the living side. As we got neighbors behind us in tents. Although there is a lot of woods between us. I even walked up and said hi to them, checking to see if we could hear the generator up there. 
We ran it a couple hours on arrival. Turned it off for a while decided to unplug the freezer out front. And unplugged the coffee pot and clocks Etc. So we can make it through the night for the fridge. 
When we arrived it was 83 upstairs, while the generator ran we had the Fantastic fans on which really helped. Opened a lot of Windows we could reach easily. And as it got closer to Sunset it really cooled off. The temperature was perfect for sleeping.

We each took a shower. He ran the generator a few more hours at night turned it off about 9:30. We had a great quiet night in the woods.

Monday August 14, 2023

We had a great night, but it's happy Monday, we're going to get out of the scary tree and Rock situation.
We had a leisurely morning no rush to get out of here since we're still paid for tomorrow.
 Just realizing we paid $80 to Boondock for one night. OMG wow, going to try not to think about that one.
Glad I didn't do it.
 As we were packing up the neighbor I walked up to last night came down and asked us if we had jumper cables cuz her car wouldn't start. So Jim rescued the  Damsel in Distress, as he says, and went up to get her car started.
 Then we finished hooking up to leave. I had another nice morning walk as I followed behind Jim. It took us 25 minutes to get out, that was a long morning walk. And again I kept telling him to slow down. As I was trying to watch both sides of the road between the trees and The Roots and the rocks. I realized he was about to go over a rock on the passenger side RV Tire. If I wouldn't have stopped him in time he would have rubbed the heck out of our new tire. Soon as I realized it he had speeded up a little bit. So I had to quickly yell at him to stop, he had to back up three times to get over just enough,  being mindful of the tree on the other side. 
Then we proceeded and had to make a hard left through a gate and then another hard left through the exit gate. 

So happy to be out on 44. We had a short travel day of 88 miles didn't even stop once. Once we arrived at the KOA in Northampton Massachusetts. We got checked in and used our bathroom first.
 Then we followed our guide with his cute little guy in tow. I felt like we drove forever getting deeper and deeper in the woods here. It was a half mile in.. we checked. We assume they were putting us in a open pull through right out front.
 But no, he pulled us into the grassy site in the middle of everything. Came out and walked around with him and Jim realized it wasn't full hookups, no sewer. Oh no here we go again. 

So he got on his phone and looked to see if there was availability for full hookups. It took forever, but he was very nice and we ended up backing up into the site right in front of where Jim is standing above,. It's behind that MH. 
I had made peanut butter and jelly for the travel. 
By now it was about 1:30 and I was ready, I started eating after he was backed in. We got situated went for a walk later, and Jim talked to our neighbor.
Later we went for a walk around the KOA campground.
 They had this sitting out at the end of their permanent site. We said hi to the people, they were sitting under their awning. She said everyone stops and takes a picture. I said it was extra funny for me because I used to work in a nursing home.
This was one of their premium sites. We sat on the swing and then one of the chairs for a while. Before we continued our walk up the hill back to the RV. 
For dinner I finished up the rest of the pork we smoked before we left Drew's. And I used it to make fried rice. The smokiness in the pork made the rice extra fantastic.
I tried to work on the blog some, at 9:00 I was done. So tired, I went up to bed first tonight.

Tuesday August 15, 2023

This morning I made us both bacon egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches. Later I heated up some deer noodle soup for a light lunch. 
Then we left to go get a few thing. We ended up going to Big Lots. Just to look around past the time. Since it rained all morning. Then we went next door to Walmart. They didn't have a lot of groceries. So we left and Jim found an Aldi's, we actually both went into. Of course that was awesome.
 Then we got home was definitely ready for dinner. Glad I had leftovers ready. I heated up some fish I had in the freezer, I put it in the air fryer inside and we ate the rest of the pork fried rice with veggies.
I did a zoom call with 8 new ladies I'm trying to meet and get to know that are in NOBS too.
Watching TV before bed, Jim went up first.

Wednesday August 16, 2023

This morning I woke up thinking about our two next stops are boondocking. Realized all the prep I should do before. Glad I put a batch of yogurt on last night, It was ready this morning.

 So we had breakfast. And we were going to head out Jim was doing some stuff outside. And the neighbor guy started talking to him, for a really long time. Thanks buddy :)  So I started some projects up in the bathroom. Cleaned out a couple shelves in the medicine cabinets. 

Then we finally left, it was so close to lunch time. First we stopped at this produce store we kept going by. It was called Lookout Farm. It was fantastic, Jim said he even liked it. 
We ended up buying wild frozen blueberries a head of Romaine, dried veggies,  two packs of chicken, some frozen sausage, too, fresh peaches, and two beautiful cookies. They were huge and I cut them each in four pieces. One was chocolate chip and one was molasses.                      Beer
Apple dumping 
Made with wine corks
produce and meat counter, and Deli
COOKIES
nice sandwiches they were making didn't wear cloves though, didn't like that. 
They were looking for all kinds of help. A breakfast/ lunch cook, 6 to 2. It is crazy how I still think that would be so fun yet, am I  nuts.????
Jim say yepp, probably. I do love to cook for people especially breakfast food.

As we were driving I realized I had a text from Shannon, the lady Jim's mom lives with. We use her address for voting stuff. So when she said Jim got a letter, we both knew it was for jury duty. For October 23rd. Also known as Johnny Carson's birthday. But we will be in Branson Missouri then. Something else we have to figure out.

 Then we ended up going to get diesel and filled up the generator and the gas tank for it. Then we went to a store to get beer.
As we were driving back home we drove by a huge flock of turkeys right along the road. 
Jim actually made a u-turn and we came back to get pictures. His GPS took us on a beautiful dirt back road, thought we might see deer, but no. Saw awesome houses in there.

Then we got back to the RV and the boondocking prep work began.
First Jim grilled chicken while I made four salads, two for now and two for once we arrive at our boondocking spot tomorrow. They were fantastic with the grilled chicken on top. Was so late by now, after 2:30.
I also did a couple potatoes for breakfast and hard-boiled some eggs in the instant pot.
I had two really ripe bananas so I made my healthy cookie mix with them. After we ate our salads Jim put those on the Ninja next. Then he grilled a veggie mix of zucchini, onions, peppers and carrots. Then he grilled us each burgers for tonight and some for the next two days. I wanted to wash the head of Romaine I bought, clean some other produce in preparation for boondocking also. We both worked from about 2:30 3:00 until 6:00 p.m.. Jim put more water in the tank, cleaned the grills and put everything away outside. Then he took a shower while I finished up. We watched a little TV before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment