Thursday, November 16, 2023

Travel Day to the Florida Keys

Travel Day to the Florida Keys 

Tuesday November 7, 2023

For us we were packed up and left pretty early this morning, 9:10 am. That's early for us. All my fault I'm told.

We have a long travel day to the Florida Keys, about 5 hours or so. It's our first time, so we have no idea what to expect. We just kept hearing a lot about the 7 Mile Bridge.
When we pulled out of our site, here in Peace River, you have to make a big u-turn at the lower end of the campground where they are putting in the new 50 amp upgraded cement Electric pedestals.
 Amazingly we only made one stop. Mainly because there's nowhere to get off, and or, No rest areas.
 We pulled in to get fuel at a smaller truck stop. There was a weird rundown hotel building. Jim thinks it was housing for migrant workers. They had a few white buses around that transported them. Was just kind of creepy there. We had a super quick lunch too, and kept on moving.
 Never expected to see a bear crossing sign on the way to the Keys, but there it is.
Also alot of orange groves.
 We passed a lot of fields with crops, I had no idea what they were. They were unidentifiable as we drove by. I so wish they had a sign up saying what they are. Then we started to pass a lot of water, the closer we got. 
To our surprise the Fiesta Key Encore Park, we do not have to go over the 7 Mile Bridge to get there. We kept waiting for it, and waiting for it. The first Campground we saw was Fiesta.
I think we traveled about 257 miles today.
Here's a picture of the map I came up with.
 The very top number 3 picture is Peace River Thousand Trails, in Wauchula Florida, we just left, To Fiesta Key at the bottom in Long Key, Florida.
A friend of mine texted me as we traveled and reminded me how there's iguanas everywhere here. Then I remembered I heard that before and started looking, and I was seeing them everywhere. Right along the road.. You just see the grass move, and there they were, finally even with Jim driving, he was seeing them also.
We were finally about a half an hour away from Fiesta, and we got a phone call from them. I had to call them back, cuz I didn't recognize the number. They just told us the check-in procedure, there was a security guy that would take us to our site. 
Once we arrived we followed him in his golf cart.
 We are in site 947. We have a jungle behind us. With a green building that has rental space. The sites are tight, all stones no sand, and no trees above us,  yeah.. 
We were surprised how empty it was here, not even close to being full. No one is behind us. Which is a good thing, made it easier to back into our site. 
He did minimal setup outside, and Jim did get the golf cart out too. It was nice  setting everything out for a 2 week stay, instead of a quick overnight stop. Nice to truly settled in.
We eventually took a golf cart ride around to look at the park.
In front of these park models the road is flooded. The water splashes over the rock wall when the tide comes in and floods. 
Eventually Jim saw them pumping it out one day.
Restaurant, hot tub, CG, and pool area.
Beautiful Blues, and waving palm tree, iguanas under this boat.Blue and yellow chairs are at the restaurant. Beach area
We left alittle to late for our ride, and missed the sunset. This was all we saw. 
It's a very inconvenient time. LOL

Wednesday November 8, 2023

I love our relaxing mornings now that we retired enjoying our coffee and having breakfast together.
Later today we took another golf cart ride around the park and iguanas are everywhere. They're kind of fun to watch. 
Hut to watch the sunset 
Palm tree looks like a giant pineapple.
Alot of empty sites in the CG
Fish cleaning station
Jim took a great picture in the water.
Our little golf cart.
Later we went over to the water and sat on lounge chairs. My phone rang as we were sitting down. It was Carla. She started asking me about the Keys, and before I knew it she was standing in front of us. Stunned, Jim looked at her weird, I did too. First I thought we took someone's chairs, since we had just sat down. Then I realized it was her. Her husband Kevin came over too. 
 Had to get a quick picture.
 We chatted for quite a while, we'll be here together almost a week. 
Tried to pick her brain on some things we should do while we are here. She said they did nothing so far.. lol  How lovely to see her,  we did walk fit together in Orlando last season. 
We also seen her in the Poconos when we were in the class C motorhome. We had a long visit, in the MH on that trip.
They also have a lovely dog park here right next to the laundry room and we got a glimpse of the sunset tonight.

Thursday November 9, 2023

This morning I got up just before 6:30 a.m. quickly got dressed and walked up to see the sunrise.
 I was a little late but got a few nice pictures. 
Black dot in the middle, is a dragonfly photo bombing my picture.

Then I started walking the campground, my phone rang, and Carla said did you just walk by the motorhome. I found a Winnebago Tour I was pretty sure it was hers. She confirmed I was right and said she'd walk with me. She came out and we walked a good 40 minutes together.
 Before going home.

Jim had the coffee ready and later I made us breakfast. Then we watched Survivor and Amazing Race from last night, so good. 
Then we took a golf cart ride and saw these beautiful orchids they must graft them on to the palm trees. Never seen them grow like that before.
Jim made some grilled chicken sausage for later and a couple burgers for us. I put the Instant pot on outside and made a couple baked potatoes in it. We had them with sour cream,  butter, cheese, and bacon bits. Along with our burgers for lunch.

 Then I showered and washed my hair. Then in preparation for this weekend's no BS virtual Camp,  I'm doing all weekend, we got on a tech call with Keith. Corinne Crabtree's brother inside nobs. To set up all my tech devices with zoom. The three of us did the call together, we put zoom on the television. It was a great accomplishment to get that finished before the weekend, camp starts.
We went up for sunset again tonight.
There was 4 iguanas on the rock wall.
A nice lady offers to take our picture. 
 Later I made chicken and yellow rice out in the instant pot for dinner. Then we took a golf cart ride up to listen to live music on the beach. How fabulous.
 Then we got a phone call from Thomas and Kerri. We had put it off for a night or two, she went to get our mail and wanted to go over everything with us. So nice to see them all and hear his voice.
 Then we finished our golf cart ride and went home and watched The Voice. Such a great day and we didn't even go anywhere. Well 3 days we didn't go anywhere. But so fun. It's a little Peace of Heaven.

1 comment:

  1. I have family that lives in Navanne, Fl and they have 2 bears in their neighborhood that hang around.

    ReplyDelete