Sunday, September 10, 2023

Lighthouse Cruise

Lighthouse Cruise 

Tuesday September 5, 2023
This morning we got up, had our coffee did all the things. I packed a lunch for the day. Jim called an Uber to pick us up at the entrance to 1000 trails.
We walked all the way out there before 10:00 a.m.. our driver didn't chat, don't think he spoke much english. He dropped us off in Perkins Cove. 
First thing we did was go over to buy our tickets for the Lighthouse Cruise. It was $37 each, and lasted an hour and a half.
We were standing there to buy the tickets, we heard someone holler " I know you. " We looked up and it was our neighbor, in a motorhome directly in front of us. You can see us both in this picture.
 He is the boat captain of the lobster boat cruise. If we would have only known. We chatted for a minute, got some more information.
It was so funny because every morning I would hear him leave on his motorcycle right around 8:00 a.m.. I said to Jim, I wonder where he goes everyday. Jim said he probably works, remember doing that. I said I really wanted to know where he goes. Now we know. How lucky are we that he's our neighbor.
Then we walked the shops all along The Cove, for about an hour and a half till it was time to board our boat.
The yellow sign on the pole says lobster crossing.
Inside some beautiful things. Very beach themed paintings.
Alot of things made with beach rocks.
Cool birdhouse, I guess it is, made with what looks like drift wood. Some store's, Jim waited outside, lol.
Almost all the shops on this side had fantastic water views out back.
It was very hot if you stayed in the Sun. Glad I remembered to wear my blue Sun protecting shirt. Wish I would have remembered it before. It covers my neck, where I burned a little last time. This week has been very hot and humid. The air conditioning even is running at least three times overnight lately. We've had weeks where we had to put on the heat pump or the fireplace on. That didn't happen for a while.
 Once we boarded the boat and set sail,  the boat Captain introduced himself and immediately said there was a small craft advisory right now. He said it'll be fine, he said on a scale for 1 to 10 it was a 2 or 3. Alrighty then. We did have a lot of waves coming in and really made the boat Rock.
The lady aboard offered us drinks, then she gave us a lot of details on the shoreline. 
It was hard to remember everything. One cool detail was, there was quite a large plot of land. Don't remember how many acres that a family had. It was called Pirate's Cove. It was rumored the Pirates buried treasure there. They believed the family found it, because now they have three huge beautiful homes on that land. All in the same family.
Shortly after we left they turned the boat at a weird angle, and then realized they saw this mola mola fish that they wanted everyone to see. It was huge and can be 600 to 800 lb.
This land had an old hotel I believe on it which they tried to sell in 1972 for $50,000. But they couldn't sell it for over 10 years. Now whoever finally purchased it is this massive  Hotel called The Cliff House, that gets a small room for $600 a night, or a huge Suite overlooking the water for close to 2000 a night.
In this picture you can see the white line that runs up through the rocks. We were told it was quartz, and it's a natural border between York and Ogunquit. She mentioned half the boat was in York and the other half of us was in the other town.
The ride was beautiful we can see the lighthouse off in distance as we approached. We got to go all the way around and see it from different angles. 
We talked to the people in front of us, and the couple behind us, are from here. She was telling us how you can drive out there and get pictures from the shoreline. 
Jim said no we're not doing that, you know how far away that is. We talked to the people in front of us from Vermont, they love the idea of full-time rving, said they talked about it already themselves. 
Then we started our trip back to Perkins cove. Our tour guide would come out and see if anybody wanted a drink. Then continue giving  information on what we were looking at.
We were told a lot of fresh water mixes with the ocean water here which makes it freeze easier. Found out this boat is the ice crusher they use to keep the waterways open. Was cool I already took a picture of it.
As I said, the boat was doing some rocking and rolling, I was getting hungry. Glad we didn't eat before we left, as we thought about it. Felt a little weird.
Once we were back to shore we walked up along the shops again and found two lovely annirondack chairs in the shade. We sat there and enjoyed the lunch I packed, drank a ton of water by this time.
Saw this a lovely tribute and to encourage people for organ donation.
I loved looking at the flowers here.
After hydrating and getting a little rest and digesting after lunch. We started our walk back on Marginal Way. The total trip today walking was 5 miles.
 We kept stopping to see the beautiful views. Every now and then Jim would rest on a bench. Before we left I realized my water was gone. I hate to spend money on water and parking, LOL. Told Jim I could walk back to the bathrooms, instead I went inside the Oreweed restaurant, we sat to get one more good look at the water. I told him I was going to go in and ask if she would let me fill up my bottles. She was very generous and gracious and told me I could. 
We started our walk back, it was really hot and humid. But an extremely beautiful day.
Marginal Way was purchased by Joshua Chase, so there would be a path right away for people to enjoy the water views. Found out from Carla and Gary that the people with the beautiful homes that border the path take care of it. Picking up trash and taking care of weeds. That is such a lovely idea.
At this point we have been walking for a while, but the views didn't make it seem like it. At least for me.
By now the sun was setting and it was getting later. Was hoping to get better sunset pictures, but this was about as good as I could get. Was hoping to get the sun reflecting off the water, but that just doesn't happen now. We walked and walked and Jim was getting tired.
This time I got some beautiful pictures of the front of the homes along the water. Even on the other side of the road. The house's had a water view in the back too, swamp, bay not even sure what it's called.
The houses were stunning and I just loved the look of this driveway, with the grass coming up through what looked like cement blocks.
Now we were getting close to home and Jim took one more rest. The other day this place was hopping, but now we're starting to see these signs more and more.
Once we reached our RV site, we were glad to be home, we took off our shoes. Jim was really pooped. And ready to have some dinner. 
I heard our neighbors were outside, so I walked over. Jim had no energy to go with me. But I wanted to say hi to the Lobster boat captain Tom. I told him we just git home.. They were very nice and we chatted about how you can buy lobster for $7 a pound when you get off the boat, if you take the lobster Cruise. I told him if we would have only known. Told him we hope to try his boat too. 

They offered to bring lobster home tomorrow night when he gets off of work and we could have a lobster potluck together. I told him it sounded fantastic I'll even make dessert.. I came back and told Jim, you'll never guess what I just set up with our neighbors.
 Very exciting they were so nice and generous to offer that. We both went inside, luckily I had leftover dinner ready to heat up. We took showers and crashed for the night. What a fantastic day.

No comments:

Post a Comment