Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Weekend seeing family

Weekend Seeing Family

Saturday May 6, 2023 
Today Jim and I got up had a lovely breakfast and later lunch. As we were getting ready to leave Vicky called, Byron's wife, and was talking about dinner tonight. I said I didn't know anything about it. Apparently the guys made plans last night and I was the last to know. I grabbed some yellow rice to making in her pressure cooker and a few rice krispie treats I had in the freezer.
We had planned to go out to Thomas's house for a visit. 
They thought it was funny that they both had Yuengling lager shirts on. He is Jim's son after all.

Here's a picture of Thomas and I with our first of many hugs.
 We  went outside and I took a picture of our former hostas and Thomas's flower bed in the front of the house. Looks great.
 Jim went in the garage and sat on Thomas's motorbike.
 Thomas went out with Jim to look at the truck from our accident damage, and to see how difficult it was to change a light bulb. 
Sarah was showing us their cat and how big it is.  Kerri and Sarah weren't home when we arrived, but did shortly after us.

Hated to leave, but going  to pick up Mia now.

On the way we drove by our old house and saw our neighbor Mary out cutting grass, so we stopped by and said hello.
Mary was the BEST neighbor ever. She was giving us the scoop of the neighborhood. 
We were supposed to pick Mia up at 4:30. But we chatted so long, we didn't arrive till after 5:00. I texted her mom to tell her we're on the way. Mia even texted me, she was ready. I should have reminded her what she needed to pack. After we arrived when she finally came out all she had was her summer outfit she had on and her phone. THAT'S it,, 
I said we're going camping, you need long pants, sneakers, a warm coat, long sleeve shirt and something to sleep in, Etc she literally went back in five times before she had everything finally.

 Then we drove to Byron's house for dinner. I only found out about it at noon, when we were still at the camper having lunch before heading out. Last night Jim and Byron made all these plans and he never told me. He was going to have  smoked deer roast, and grilled chicken. Before we left Vicky and I made a last minute plan.

We told Mia we were going to their house, she said she remembered playing with Catherine when she was little. We were wondering how things were going to go, when we were trying to talk to her on the drive there, only could get one word answers out of her. I told Jim maybe it's starting now. She is 11 now. Sarah will be 16, on June 20.
First time I got to see Byron's new garage. First Mia and Jim played a game of air hockey in there. 
Then we got to see a rabbit they have. Here's a picture of Catherine and Mia together. Mia's on the left. Katherine is 16, 8 months older than Sarah.

After that they got the four-wheeler out and Mia was riding the four-wheeler with Jim. They couldn't believe what a good driver she was for 11. We like the way he had the firewood stacked. This used to be their friend and former co-worker Steve's. 
Middle pictures Catherine and her boyfriend went and got a load of firewood for us on the 4-wheeler, Mia enjoyed riding this self-propelled trike in the garage. Then Byron wanted Jim to move his fifth wheel over a little bit to maximize his driveway space. It was weird cuz they moved it with the bedroom slide out, which we would never do, but it was crazy cuz, I had a dream a week or so ago where Jim was moving, what I thought was our camper in the dream with the slides out. That's never going to happen, LOL
 We also saw an angry duck sitting on eggs, and we saw the chickens, later she gave me a dozen. I don't think I've ever seen such Brown eggs, I always call them whole wheat eggs when they're that brown.

We also looked at the garden they're just getting it started for the season. They are always so generous sharing there harvest with us. Tomatoes, peppers, zucchini etc.
 We looked at the pool too. She was excited, she said, I didn't know they had a pool too, glad she's old enough to realize she couldn't go in yet. They just started refilling it again after fixing a leak.

 They went inside looking at the bearded dragon, I think his name is Bob. Great fire, bro manse, more
 4-wheeler.
 Then they started getting the snakes out. Here's Mia with some snakes she actually held one.
Finally they put the veggies on the grill it was peppers, onions, zucchini, radishes which I thought were weird. We all took turns watching them. The first batch got a little well done, but  the second were better. Finally everything was ready. I had  put the yellow rice in her pressure cooker as soon as we arrived. I just can't get her to use it unless I'm there.

 We were so hungry by then, was way after 7 I think, I never even took a picture. But it was delicious. I wasn't sure how Mia would react to deer meat, AKA venison, so we called it beef. Byron said take a bite and I'll tell you what it is. So I cut her a bite, she put it in her mouth, chewed it two or three times and said that's good can I have more. That made Byron happy as a clam. She had quite a large piece, chicken, vegetables and a lot of my rice. She even ate two of my dessert treats.
Before we picked her up,  she spent the whole day at the water park, so we know she was hungry.

Funny thing about Byron, they know they're rednecks. We say that lovingly, But the funny thing is, we saw his brand new truck today, and when he test drove it,  he hit a deer. Which did kill it, and it ended up in his freezer. Jim says he can hear Jeff Foxworthy saying you know you're a redneck if... you kill a deer on a test drive and it ends up in the freezer.
They had a great fire going with hollow logs, I used to love when Jim did that,  no room for one now :(
She did make 3 planters with one. Wish I would have taken a picture of it. Was really cool.
Later their friend Mark came over, he's a woodworker and he's the one that made my shoe cabinet for the end of our island in the RV. He has 39 snakes, raises a lot of babies, and sells them. He was talking with Mia and she had so many questions for him about snakes. It was so cute to listen to their conversation about them.

I got a picture of a beautiful sunset over the mountain behind their house. 
By this time it was about 9:30. Byron wanted Jim to stay over, I told him he was supposed to keep Jim Friday night. But they also messed up those plans,  along with not telling me about dinner, although that worked out well.
 Mia had so much fun there, she couldn't believe all the animals they had. She was constantly doing something from the time we arrived till now. She wanted to stay with Jim. I felt like a bad grandma, I had found some hair in the back of her neck that was matted, It really needed washed and braided. Vicky said she could help get it out, it was so incredibly nice of her. She did raise 4 daughters, but I still feel like a bad grandma cuz I wasn't going to be doing it.

 So I asked Mia what she wanted to do, she wanted to stay with Jim. I almost didn't go with her wishes, but decided to put them ahead of me, and we said our goodbyes, and it was almost 10:00 p.m. before I drove the truck home in the dark.
 Vicky texted me later said she washed her hair and then got the knot out. Catherine braided  it and she went to bed in  their grandson's bed. He's at his dad's for the weekend. So I'll see them in the morning.
I got home preped coffee for tomorrow and took a shower had a Mexican mud slide with a little decaf coffee and Skim milk and watched Naked and Afraid and went to bed about 11, sure is quiet.


Sunday May,  2023

I woke up about 7:00 got up and had my coffee alone. I enjoyed it while I watched my morning Sunday news with Willie Geist. Byron dropped off Mia and Jim about 9:30. Jim had texted me they were on their way and she wanted to make pancakes with me. So I made them each one big pancake. Here's the whole wheat eggs Vicky gave me last night. They are so pretty.
She wanted blueberries and strawberries and banana I put on hers. And she ate it all I made Jim a pancake and eggs too. When we were just about halfway finished through breakfast Jim's mom called and wanted to know if we'd take her to church. She was confused about the start time,  but I think she said 10:30. We would have had to leave right then and I wish we would have pre-planned it, we could have done it if we would have known. We did talk about taking her every Sunday for the short time we will be downstate here,  but we both forgot. He told her we would plan it for next Sunday. She was able to say hi to Mia which was nice.

 After they were both finished with breakfast she laid on the sofa with the phone, you could tell she was tired yesterday was a very busy day for an 11-year-old. She put the blanket over her head and I asked her if she wanted to go lay on our bed. She said can I I said sure. So she took her pillow and blanket up and this is what I found 5 minutes later. 
I talked to Travis and made plans for him to come in to the campground to pick her up in a couple hours after his golfing tournament was over. She probably slept close to 2 hours. When she got up, I French braided her hair and they went up to the playground together. 
When Travis arrived I met him at the gate and came up with him. Here's their reunion hug together. 
We were trying to decide if we were going to eat something here together or go somewhere. But Travis wanted a Mac machine to give us a couple bucks he owes us from the winter. So we decided to go to Hoss's. 
We had a nice lunch together so great seeing them both. Then Jim finally got a picture of our hugs
 although I stole a few at the campground when he arrived. 
Then we said our goodbyes, there was a little car show going on behind the restaurant. And then as we were about to pull out a huge motorcycle parade went by and a whole bunch of Jeeps. I told Jim it was probably a charity ride for something today.

 After we arrived back at the campground we chilled for a while. I wanted to go for a walk cuz it was supposed to rain a little eventually. Never really did much, but I went for a walk by myself for about an hour around the park I called Christine and talked with her while I walked. I told Jim I'd be back later, to walk him, lol. When I arrived he was sort of sleeping in his chair, but I got him moving and I walked for another half an hour with him. 

Then we returned home and he took a shower I made more yellow rice in the instant pot. Pulled that out and then I made some quinoa, steamed some cauliflower rice in the microwave. Mixed them both together and made us a burrito bowl with a little bit of leftovers for dinner. 

Then we watched live Switch It Up with Todd and Sheila. It was the one where they had the youngest of the oldest three grandchildren Logan with them most the time. 
Then we watched Naked and Afraid called Last One Standing. It is so good one of my favorites. Jim went to bed first and I went up about 11:30. I want to start going to bed earlier again, getting a little too late. I like getting up before Jim. 

 What a great family weekend with our boys and my girls.



No comments:

Post a Comment